WARNING: Rape and mental health issues are discussed. Please be aware, prepared, and find resources below if you are in need of support during or after listening to this episode.
On this episode of the You Inspire Me Podcast, Hope interviewed her inspiring friend, Kate Graffeo. Kate is a daughter of God, wife, and formerly a mental health counselor now taking on identity with clients in coaching! Kate is also an up and coming author! Kate relates inspiration to a garden and blossoming flowers, tying that imagery to God’s original creation and the inspiration he had for the world we know even before it existed. She ties this back to the theme of creativity as an inspiration in her life! Also, Vanilla and Spruce, Kate’s business, is the show’s newest platinum sponsor! Use the promo code UINSPIREME20 to receive 20% off of the Wildflower candle which Kate has dedicated to this show!
- Kate shares how she uses Instagram to follow creative accounts that inspire her own creative thoughts
- She also shares her love for the Enneagram Personality Test!
- Kate tells us about her friend, mentor, and sister in Christ, Michelle, who inspires her constantly
- She shares that she chose to walk away from counseling when she realized that she was being void in her relationships and had lost the fire and passion for what she was doing, all of which came to the pinnacle when she got COVID and didn’t have the energy to do anything except watch Fixer Upper which reignited her creative juices
- The life coaching business that Kate runs is called Vanilla + Spruce
- Kate also shares about suffering and healing and journeying in God through that, and we tie it back to Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane
- She describes her healing journey for co-dependency and PTSD
- Kate also talks about doing EMDR treatment with her therapist
- She describes how she feels most in her element during her alone time and that counseling taught her how to appreciate those moments where she is alone, like dancing to music with her dogs
- Hope references Hannah Grantham’s episode where Hannah talks about turning off the music in the car and being with and praying to God
- Kate shares this quote from Bob Goff, “[most] people need [love and] acceptance a lot more than they need advice.”
- She also shared lyrics from the song “Holy Water” with us, “I don’t want to abuse your grace / God, I need it every day / it’s the only thing that ever / makes me really want to change”
Rape, Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Domestic Violence Resources:
National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1.800.799.SAFE (7233)
Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network Resources: online chat and call/text hotline or 1.800.656.HOPE (4673)
From fellow soldier to ‘monster’ in uniform: #MeToo in the military
CNN Health: Rape Trauma Often Mistaken for Deception: Understanding how the brain reacts to trauma can help police better understand victim’s responses.
Mental Health Resources
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1.800.273.8255
Crisis Text Line: Text TALK to 741-741 to text with a trained crisis counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7
Veterans Crisis Line: Send a text to 838255
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/you-inspire-me-podcast/id1543489925
Connect with the You Inspire Me Podcast:
Sponsors for this Episode:
This is episode is sponsored by our Platinum Sponsors!
- AbbyKate Home. AbbyKate Home is a family owned business that loves sharing with you their latest home decor creations! I think Parker and I have at least 5 of her pillows (maybe 6?) and I have gifted more than I remember to friends and family! Check them out at their website, their Etsy store, Facebook, or Instagram (@pillows.by.abbykate) to see previous designs or start YOUR OWN CUSTOM DESIGN TODAY!
- Lizabeth Rose Photography. Lizabeth Rose Photography is operated by Chriztine Campbell, wife, mother, and photographer serving Central Ohio and beyond. Chriztine says that her “goal and promise is to capture more than just the image, but to share your story through the art of photography. I am here to make your special moments come to life and last a lifetime.” You can check out Chriztine’s BEAUTIFUL work to see if she is the right fit for your next photo shoot, event, or special moment on her website, Facebook, and Instagram. Chriztine also partners in a specialty wedding photography business called At The Altar Photo, check out their Instagram!
- Vanilla and Spruce. Vanilla and Spruce, gifts and services is a one-stop shop for wellness coaching and inspirational keepsakes. Kate Graffeo, the creator of Vanilla and Spruce is passionate in helping individuals sustain wellness to embrace their identity, express themselves authentically, and live life to the fullest of their ability. Devoted to inspiring the best version of ourselves, Kate has designed handmade gifts in her shop with a goal toward safe, non-toxic ingredients and materials that create a comfortable atmosphere for our introverted parts as well. Are you feeling stuck, overwhelmed, or just curious to know what makes you individually unique? Explore her website, Facebook, and Instagram to see if you might be a good fit, or drop into the gift shop to pick out a gift for yourself or a friend.
*Disclaimer: the views and beliefs expressed in this podcast do not reflect the views or beliefs of the U.S. Army or U.S. government.