On this episode of the You Inspire Me Podcast, Hope interviews Evan Walker, a graduating West Point cadet and a Rhodes Scholar. Evan describes inspiration as a really warm feeling that is embodied by a moment of clarity or an “ah ha” moment. She also describes inspiration as “being liberated by or from something.” Throughout this conversation, Evan shares practical wisdom for connecting with and supporting others while also recognizing the value and strengths within one’s own identity. It is a true honor to share this conversation with you!
- Evan is from Texas and is currently an Operations Research (OR) major at West Point and she is on the boxing team
- She shares that some of the most inspiring things in her life are her faith and relationship with God, her mother, and her closest friends
- Her name, Evan, means “God is gracious,” and Evan shares how she used to be ashamed of having a “boy’s name” but now she loves it
- As the Cadet Basic Training (a.k.a. “BEAST”) Commander, Evan set the precedent for focusing on inclusion and valuing every person’s unique identity
- Evan shares that authenticity and vulnerability are two ways that she tries to live her truest, fullest life
- While at Oxford University with the Rhodes Scholarship, Evan will pursue both a Master in Sociology and a Master of Science in Comparative Social Policy
- The first thing Evan tells her mentees or those who come to her for advice is, “BE YOU,” as she spreads her message of authenticity to others
- Evan also gives her perspective on how everyone can come to the table and leave with understanding despite their individual perspectives and unique life experiences through embracing respect and humility
- She shares with us Romans 8:28, her favorite Bible verse, and this quote from Brené Brown, “vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy, and… authenticity.”
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/you-inspire-me-podcast/id1543489925
Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly95b3VpbnNwaXJlbWVwb2RjYXN0LmNvbS9jYXRlZ29yeS9zZWFzb24tMS1hLXllYXItb2YtaW5zcGlyaW5nLXdvbWVuL2ZlZWQv
Connect with the You Inspire Me Podcast:
Sponsors for this Episode:
This is episode is sponsored by our Platinum Sponsors!
- AbbyKate Home. AbbyKate Home is a family owned business that loves sharing with you their latest home decor creations! I think Parker and I have at least 5 of her pillows (maybe 6?) and I have gifted more than I remember to friends and family! Check them out at their website, their Etsy store, Facebook, or Instagram (@pillows.by.abbykate) to see previous designs or start YOUR OWN CUSTOM DESIGN TODAY!
- Lizabeth Rose Photography. Lizabeth Rose Photography is operated by Chriztine Campbell, wife, mother, and photographer serving Central Ohio and beyond. Chriztine says that her “goal and promise is to capture more than just the image, but to share your story through the art of photography. I am here to make your special moments come to life and last a lifetime.” You can check out Chriztine’s BEAUTIFUL work to see if she is the right fit for your next photo shoot, event, or special moment on her website, Facebook, and Instagram. Chriztine also partners in a specialty wedding photography business called At The Altar Photo, check out their Instagram!
- Vanilla and Spruce. Vanilla and Spruce, gifts and services is a one-stop shop for wellness coaching and inspirational keepsakes. Kate Graffeo, the creator of Vanilla and Spruce is passionate in helping individuals sustain wellness to embrace their identity, express themselves authentically, and live life to the fullest of their ability. Devoted to inspiring the best version of ourselves, Kate has designed handmade gifts in her shop with a goal toward safe, non-toxic ingredients and materials that create a comfortable atmosphere for our introverted parts as well. Are you feeling stuck, overwhelmed, or just curious to know what makes you individually unique? Explore her website, Facebook, and Instagram to see if you might be a good fit, or drop into the gift shop to pick out a gift for yourself or a friend.
*Disclaimer: the views and beliefs expressed in this podcast do not reflect the views or beliefs of the U.S. Army or U.S. government.