On this episode, I have the privilege of interviewing Miss Genevieve Oakley, a young lady currently residing in West Point, New York and in the eleventh grade. Genevieve defines inspiration as “the culmination of ideas and people and events” that have led her to what she believes in and what she hopes to “achieve in life.” She identifies some of the most inspiring people in her life being her parents and Taylor Swift. One thing you will learn from this interview is that this life has some BIG plans for Miss Genevieve Oakley!
- Thanks to the Army, Genevieve and her family have moved ELEVEN TIMES so far in her life!
- Genevieve is the Outreach Assistant and a Journalist for Bloom: Empowering the Military Teen, a blog run by and for military teens around the world.
- Her interests and passions including writing, politics, and singing along to Taylor Swift
- Currently investigating potential colleges and universities to attend, Genevieve has some prospects with the Ivy Leagues, including Dartmouth (partly because it’s one of the “coldest colleges in America”)
- Genevieve’s biggest passion is striving towards making positive change in this world and helping others
- The confidence that Genevieve has developed within herself has come from mental health struggles when feeling isolated, and she works to help her friends and other young women build up their confidence, too
- Genevieve is a huge inspiration to me in how she focuses on her mental health and advocates for others in that way – please seek help if you are struggling with mental health: the National Suicide Helpline is 800-273-8255; the crisis text line is can be reached at TALK to 741-741; and more resources can be found HERE. Please know that you are worthy, loved, and enough!
- “Be kinder to people than you feel in heart.”
- Her favorite Taylor Swift song is Mean from Speak Now
- Genevieve shared a quote from Taylor Swift’s song Ours, “don’t you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine”
Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/you-inspire-me-podcast/id1543489925
Connect with the You Inspire Me Podcast:
Sponsors for this Episode:
This is episode is sponsored by our Platinum Sponsors!
- AbbyKate Home. AbbyKate Home is a family owned business that loves sharing with you their latest home decor creations! I think Parker and I have at least 5 of her pillows (maybe 6?) and I have gifted more than I remember to friends and family! Check them out at their website, their Etsy store, Facebook, or Instagram (@pillows.by.abbykate) to see previous designs or start YOUR OWN CUSTOM DESIGN TODAY!
- Lizabeth Rose Photography. Lizabeth Rose Photography is operated by Chriztine Campbell, wife, mother, and photographer serving Central Ohio and beyond. Chriztine says that her “goal and promise is to capture more than just the image, but to share your story through the art of photography. I am here to make your special moments come to life and last a lifetime.” You can check out Chriztine’s BEAUTIFUL work to see if she is the right fit for your next photo shoot, event, or special moment on her website, Facebook, and Instagram. Chriztine also partners in a specialty wedding photography business called At The Altar Photo, check out their Instagram!
- Vanilla and Spruce. Vanilla and Spruce, gifts and services is a one-stop shop for wellness coaching and inspirational keepsakes. Kate Graffeo, the creator of Vanilla and Spruce is passionate in helping individuals sustain wellness to embrace their identity, express themselves authentically, and live life to the fullest of their ability. Devoted to inspiring the best version of ourselves, Kate has designed handmade gifts in her shop with a goal toward safe, non-toxic ingredients and materials that create a comfortable atmosphere for our introverted parts as well. Are you feeling stuck, overwhelmed, or just curious to know what makes you individually unique? Explore her website, Facebook, and Instagram to see if you might be a good fit, or drop into the gift shop to pick out a gift for yourself or a friend.
*Disclaimer: the views and beliefs expressed in this podcast do not reflect the views or beliefs of the U.S. Army or U.S. government.